I attended a Hootsuite webinar recently that talked about how to increase revenue and reach through social ads. Hootsuite is a platform that allows you to post to several social media accounts at one time. It also has the flexibility to schedule posts, which is what I primarily use it for. I’m not always up at 5:30am promoting my blog posts, but Hootsuite is!
Why Use Social Media Ads?
I am often asked how social media ads can benefit businesses, and my answer is “It depends on what you are trying to accomplish.” Social ads are a great way to increase your brand exposure and improve awareness. How else will you make sales if customers don’t know your business exists? I currently use Facebook Ads to increase page likes for my website Untamed Mainer, and have seen great success. I have always used a set spending limit of $2/day, and have seen page likes increase from 25+/- per day to 40-60+/- per day since I started the campaign over a year ago. That’s an average of 1,500 page likes every month! You don’t have to spend a fortune to gain exposure and increase sales.
Social ads are also a great way to increase sales. You can promote your products or services directly online, and when a customer clicks on your social ad, they are brought to your website to complete the purchase. For a working example, scroll through your Facebook feed and you are sure to come across an ad. Click on the ad and see where it takes you. This is a great way to get ideas of how you can use these same types of ads and strategies for your business.
Social Ad Trends for 2017 Hootsuite Webinar
The webinar shared some great data about social media ads. Below is a quick outline of the top trends for social media ads:
- Only 2% of a brand’s audience sees their organic (unpaid) posts on Facebook (Locowise)
- A combination of organic and paid social ads is necessary to effectively reach your audience
- Social ad spending has doubled in the last 2 years (eMarketer)
- 80% of marketers have or will have invested in social advertising in 2017 (Gartner, Inc.)
- Social video advertising will be a key strategic focus (Hootsuite)
Social Media Ads Work Really Well
- Desktop ads have 8.1x higher click-through rate and mobile ads have a 9.1x higher click-through rate compared to traditional web ads (AdRoll)
- 75% of Instagram users take action after seeing an ad post (Locowise)
- 65% of marketers use social platforms like Facebook, Snapchat and Twitter for video over Vevo and YouTube (Trusted Media Brands, Inc.)
- 70% of marketers plan to use social video for advertising in the next 12 months (Animoto)
- 65% of video ads will focus on Facebook, followed by 39% on YouTube, then 21.7% on Instagram
How do you Integrate Social Ads into a Marketing Strategy?
According to Carolina Rivera, Director of Paid Media for Mediative, the customer journey is much more complex than it used to be. Users are less patient, and expect to have access to anything, anywhere. In order to integrate social media ads into your marketing strategy, you must first define your goals. Make them specific and measurable. Next, you need to be able to answer the following questions about your audience:
- Who are your potential customers?
- Where are they?
- What are they looking for?
- How and Where do they find content?
- What motivates them to buy?
Carolina says that once you have this information, you need to begin to build your digital marketing strategy. She highly recommends Facebook because it has a broad reach, and allows for a highly targeted audience. After you launch your campaign you measure and learn from what happens. This makes it possible to identify trends that you are seeing across channels. It also makes it possible to collect insight that you can apply not only to your social media marketing campaigns, but also to your website sales and promotions. The last step is to optimize your ads, and continue to test new ads. The more information you gather from your campaigns, the easier it will be to target the right customers.
Vik Kambli, Regional Head for Facebook shared valuable information about advertising on Facebook. He said that Facebook advertising needs to be about driving a business outcomes. Kambli said that brands should focus on earning attention on mobile, because that is where most people are spending their time. Our phones are our “constant companion” these days. As you probably know, Facebook owns Instagram. According to Kambli, Facebook currently has 1.79 billion active monthly users, and Instagram currently has 600 million active users. He also shared that 20% of people’s time spent on mobile devices is either on Facebook or Instagram. That’s a lot of time! Kambli said that Instagram is great for improving brand awareness and transactions, while Facebook is best used for generating demand for a product or service, and lead generation.
Why use Facebook Ads?
- Build brand awareness- Facebook has such a vast reach, and using Facebook Ads makes it possible to reach more people in a shorter time. This helps to generate demand for your product and services online. They also help you share your brand story, and promote offers.
- Acquire leads- Facebook ads work great for generating interest in your business, product, or service.
- Drive sales- The platform allows you to retarget users who have shown interest in your products or services in the past. Even if they didn’t make a purchase the first time, they may later on.
- Data measurement- Facebook ads have excellent analytics that make it possible to measure many data sets including in store visits, sales, and return on investment.
What are Hootsuite Ads?
Ryan Ginsberg from Hootsuite Solutions shared how Hootsuite can help businesses. He said they often hear that the two biggest difficulties of running online ads is that it is challenging to spend advertising dollars effectively, and it can be time consuming and complex to set up a great campaign. That’s where Hootsuite Ads comes in. There are three important things you can do with Hootsuite Ads:
- Improve ad effectiveness:
- Drive down the cost of Facebook ads
- Test multiple creatives and audience segments
- Utilize an automated system that allows you to test hundreds of combinations in a matter of minutes
- Discover the right customer and deliver the right message at the right times for the highest conversion rate
- Set parameters to automatically stop under-performing ads
- Save time managing ads:
- Analytics are simplified to give you clear, defined data
- Discover who your ideal customer is and which ads generate the most sales
- Customize the data you want displayed in minutes, with the elements and metrics you need the most
- Connect organic and paid ads:
- Create, manage and optimize your ads in the dashboard
- Tie in paid, earned and owned together seamlessly
- Use KPI from organic traffic to drive your paid strategy
- Increase your reach and drive new sign ups
The Bottom Line
The webinar offered a lot of great information and solutions for online marketing. Naturally the webinar promoted Hootsuite, but also offered a lot of great solutions to social media ad issues in general. Social media ads are a very important part of any online business marketing strategy. While they can seem complicated, platforms like Hootsuite work to simplify the process, and give you the highest return for your investment. It is worth taking the time to learn how to use Hootsuite to promote your business, and exploring the benefits of Facebook Ads.
Still have Questions?
If you would like to learn how to use Hootsuite for your business or need help setting up a marketing plan, contact Katahdin Media Works today. We offer consulting services, training, a host of online business solutions, and can create a simple, easy-to-follow marketing plan designed around your business and goals.